Wednesday, April 20, 2011

LEAVING HOME


After a tearful goodbye to my wife and 3 kids at the San Antonio airport, I arrived in Norfolk, VA shortly after midnight.  Now, on my 3rd deployment in 4 ½ years, I fell into the roll of mentor to a young captain on his 1st deployment.  I took a moment to reflect back to my mentors during previous deployments (Corey H., Craig R.) and was grateful to be able to return the favor. After securing rooms, we visited the military airport and booked tickets to Afghanistan, then we settled into our quarters for a few hours.  I was in for a long day, beginning at 3 am and ending 48 hours later. 

I waited in a simple airport. Many of my 150 travel partners from across the US had deployed before.  The innocence and fear seen during previous deployments were absent.  Many of us faced this deployment scarred and matured, but not jaded by previous wartime experiences.

The plane was a mix of people and experiences.  There were the young enlisted who deployed 4 times in 6 years and were prepared for what they were about to encounter.  There were the senior officers and senior enlisted who had never deployed and were evidence of a flawed deployment system.  Many were here to cap off their career with a combat deployment. I wondered where they were for the last 20 years.  Finally, the guardsmen were with us.  Notably, they had sacrificed their full time job, additional salary, and their family to go to war.  Most had spouses who are supportive of their deployment, but keenly aware their sacrifice.  A few joined the military on Sept 12, 2001 and others who have been in for 30 years and had lucrative careers as physicians, lawyers, and dentists. 

During the last two legs of the trip, the plane was full of energy.  Compared to previous deployments, it was more sobering and almost casual, a reflection of the seasoned servicemen and women and how long this war has gone on.    

No comments:

Post a Comment